Okay… I want to set up a farm field day. I just had the idea and I’m pretty excited so I’m writing this blog as part of the thought process… I sure would like some help fleshing it out.
The reason I ask… I recently wrote about how geeked up I was to go to a field day when I was on vacation. And in a Facebook post, I suggested I needed to visit a couple of friends on their farms so I could see their farms & said I should have another city girl join me. She said she was ready and from there, the idea just seemed to pop.
Some of the basics running through my mind:
- Tractors are cool, so are planters and seed. I know that in part because I’ve had the chance to get out on farms & kick the dirt, even had a chance to check out the soil too. And farmers have been great at helping me understand what they do.
- We are lucky to live in a time where it is easy to be more worldly and you know I enjoy that given my travels but it’s also less rural. That’s definitely the case for my family and friends — so many of us are city folks. I love living in the city and lots of my friends and families are city or suburban folks.
- Wouldn’t it be cool to bring those two groups together? And don’t we all long for a field trip? (I totally love field trips!)
- And if you go to a farm… there is always a great local cafe nearby for a yummy lunch!
So I’m wondering who’s with me?
- IF YOU ARE A FARMER, would you be willing to host tours? I know a lot of farmers who host their immediate communities, especially schools in those communities. But would you be willing to work with someone you know & trust to host an urban group?
- IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY/BURBS, do you want to visit a farm? Of course cotton farms are in high esteem for me, but in the Mid-South we have lots of crops/products/sights to consider. Broad interests or specific ideas?
What do you think? (Add your comments here.)