Wow! The votes have really been coming in for the favorite foods we eat at state fairs and county fairs! With the enthusiasm I’ve seen and knowing a lot of people are beginning to enjoy yummy food (I’ve already seen great reviews about the Indiana State Fair 2010 kicking off this week and the Illinois State Fair will be starting soon), maybe more opinions are yet to be heard.
The fact that corn dogs / hot dogs came out on top didn’t really surprise me. And as a long time funnelcake lover, I expected the fried bread with crazy amounts of confectionary sugar to do well in the poll and it did.
Also in the Top 3?
The fact that “other” was the category with the second highest votes was surprising. And the diversity of foods that fell in there… well, they make me want to go to a number of different state fairs! Here are the other foods entered so far:
- Pronto Pups (I was told the brand is critical, these are not just corn dogs!)
- Pork Chop on the Stick
- cheese curds
- French fries with vinegar!
- Fried Alligator Tail
- 25cent Milk
- Wisconsin fried cheese
- sugared almonds
Looking for reviews!
I’d love to hear reviews on the odd things I’ve heard about being sold.
- Fried Coke / Pepsi? How does that work?
- And I love butter… but fried butter? What sort of thing would that be?
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve had at a fair?
- What is the local specialty (like Wisconsin fried cheese and in Memphis we have great pulled pork and while I know chicken on a stick may not sound special, I’m not sure how far north Cajun chicken-on-a-stick goes!)
If you haven’t voted yet, feel free to vote standard or unique!
Enjoy your local fairs and festivals! If you get a chance to write it up on your blog or something, let me know!