My first visit to a farm seems a million years ago and yet it also seems like yesterday. The farmer to host me for my first real farm visit, while I was in graduate school was Mr. Ray Young. I can’t imagine how often he and his wife Mrs. Dorothy have come to mind over […]
Tag Archives | cotton
I love thinking about kids and farms… and today’s post talks about some of the things two farms are doing to cultivate the future alongside the crops they cultivate. Bob Walker / Walker Farms The farm outside of Memphis that is a homebase of sorts for me, it is Bob Walker’s farm! His wife Marjory […]
In October, I spent several days in Memphis. On one trip, you may remember I got stuck in the mud on a turnrow in a cotton field and I became one of the problems cotton farmers can have when it rains at harvest time! A couple of weeks later, I returned to Memphis and with […]
October is devoted to raising awareness in breast cancer. We see the NFL and Delta Airlines go pink to raise awareness but what can a cotton farmer do? How can you tell when a cotton farmer is committed to something? Well, the best examples are clear to the eye! October brings harvest time and modules are […]
This weekend, I accidentally called a friend who farms (ok, I butt dialed him) and he called me back. We enjoyed the serendipity of it all and had a good visit. As is always the case, weather was a major discussion point. Seems not only was Memphis cooler and wetter than I’d like but he could […]
I have to say, it has been too long since I stepped into a cotton field, so when people send me photos online reminding me where we are in the cotton season, I get pretty excited. Seemed like a good time to do a quick status check on the crop since a couple of people […]
On of the things that farmers have to worry about is whether or not their crops are going to fully mature. And while I think more than a few people can be watched closely for the same reason, with crops, it is a bit different. In order to harvest a crop, farmers want to be […]
It has been a while since I have had a guest post in my series of cotton being part of our daily lives. I love that Ashley Messing Kennedy took me up on the offer. She’s a long-time friend who got me out of my comfort zone and into Michigan in the dead cold of winter. Not […]
- First-Time to Speak at SXSW and Haters Get My Mic Time March 19, 2015
- Meeting A Kansas Farm Mom & An Accidental Farm Wife (Farm A to Z) March 31, 2015
- Get to Know About Burgess Hill, the Boersmas & Bowers Farms (Farm A to Z) April 2, 2015
- Challenging Myself Again! Farms, Farmers & Farm Blogs From A to Z March 31, 2015
- Top 6 Tips for Flying on Snow Days February 15, 2015
- You Can Learn A Lot from a Hot Air Balloon Ride (Video) July 27, 2015
- How has cotton been genetically modified? July 14, 2015
- Celebrating a Turkish Wedding (VIDEO) July 12, 2015
- Bad things happen in threes? What happens in fives? VIDEO July 7, 2015
- Scared of Heights Taking Hot Air Balloon Flights (Video) June 28, 2015
- Janice Person: awesome! I'd love to see photos. Email me one to ...
- Claire Bartram: Hello, I live in the UK and have had a go at plant...
- You Can Learn A Lot from a Hot Air Balloon Ride (Video): […] ballooning experience was a great compli...
- thedeeremilkmaid: Love visiting that neck of the woods the past few ...
- You Can Learn from a Hot Air Balloon Ride (Video): […] but I have to admit, ding this post now ...
Past posts on:
JPlovesCOTTON on Instagram
- JP REWIND Mourning the Death of a Family Member from a Distanc http://t.co/PhLGIgeegB #agawareness #agriculture #foodfarm #personalinsight
about 2 hours ago
- while others on the flight are stressing about delays... I'm coloring! #nevergrowup http://t.co/Dqc42Ahqkn
about 5 hours ago
- Ironic to hear someone say they empathize while they are tearing down a whole host of people they have been visiting.
about 6 hours ago
- I rarely leave home without them but really short flight and really quick trip they seemed unnecessary. Whewee these folks
about 7 hours ago
- #HaveMercy the stress people let themselves create because a flight is being delayed.... wishing I had my noise-cancelling headphones.
about 7 hours ago