I still remember the advice I was given as I moved to Oklahoma for college. I was told to be sure I had a good coat. It wasn’t what you would think was brilliant advice, but as someone who had lived in a place where you make short moves from your warm car to a […]
Tag Archives | weather
We all hear about climate change now and then. And I know this isn’t what they are talking about but it’s slapping me in the face today. I am in Memphis for the weekend and as I drove in last night and saw the temps were in the 60s, I smiled so big. I love […]
There has been so much rain in the Mid-South recently and I thought some of you may be wondering how rain may impact the cotton crop that is still in the field. So I’m posting another harvest time video. The previous two videos showed 1) what the cotton plant looks like as it nears harvest and […]
In the last 10-20 years, country music has become something more people in cities listen to, but it has always been popular with farmers. There has to be a good reason. Recently, I was in Nashville with a lot of farmers and the reason became crystal clear as Luke Bryan (YouTube, Twitter and Facebook) took the stage. When he […]
Last week I was busily going about things & checked in on Twitter and somehow, almost miraculously I caught two tweets about Tennessee cotton. It was awesome! First came this one from Shane Kinne with the photo at right. https://twitter.com/S_Kinne/statuses/67708533143126017 Shane was down to learn about a cotton gin and although some may wonder what can […]
Thursday I was returning to Memphis after a long visit in St. Louis. The drive home was one I had been looking forward to. It had been a tough time in my part of the world. Some of the big notes were I drove through a night of storms on my way up, a tornado ripped […]
Spring 2011 is officially here. For some friends, that was realized when they saw the first robin in their yard. For me, it seems to be when I am drawn to a drive with the top down in my car. For a lot of farmers though it could be when they first hear planting reports […]
Sirens have been going off all day off & on. It’s a sound that at this point, it seems to be the background music for spring weekends. They started early in the morning, kept lots of folks awake most of the night. somehow I made it back to sleep (the word exhaustion comes to mind). […]
- 25 Years of Love, A Month of Marriage, My View of Gay Marriage September 26, 2015
- Remembering 1970s Halloween Celebrations November 1, 2015
- Visiting All 50 States by the Time I am 50! DONE! November 23, 2015
- Looking for Builders instead of Demolition Teams September 30, 2015
- Adding My Voice to the Discussion on Religion & Immigration December 8, 2015
- Welcoming the Year of the Monkey / Chinese New Year 2016 February 8, 2016
- A World of Change in Seven Years of Tweeting February 2, 2016
- Remembering My Most Terrifying Travel Experience February 1, 2016
- Cotton Bolls — What makes this one so small? January 27, 2016
- …But I Remember Putting It In a Safe Place January 25, 2016
- Martiniano Chapa: Thanks for all those pictures about cotton, it tak...
- Brian: Love the cotton pics, Janice. Always fun to see cr...
- Janice Person: Testing....
- A Tale of Two Cotton Bolls -- What makes them look that way? : […] smaller than the bolls I see in cotton f...
- Tips for Dealing with a Major Snowstorm - a colorful adventure: […] Flights get cancelled quickly. Highways ...
Past posts on:
JPlovesCOTTON on Instagram
- Look who I found at #ShowMeYFR
- Listening to @daddystractor talk about how she reaches out from her farm to city moms #ShowMeYFR
- #thatmomentwhen someone tells me I can't sit at the #cotton table #showmeYFR
- Hope to talk with @wisefarmerbrown re: getting sweet corn donation grown on his #farm!
- #ShowMeYFR I am so inspired by the agricultural family that I have been adopted into. Via @wiseFarmerBrown
- Checking out some famous #Missouri peeps out. Satchel Paige, Mark Twain, Count Basie, Walt Disney & @chrischinnmo #showmeYFR #farmers
- Lovin' the bonus love from the @marriotthotels this afternoon! Tina & Tahneshia Rock! Thanks Allie:)
- Love when I find myself in a crowd of High Plains #cotton farmers #happyplace
- Happy soybeans in a growth chamber that simulates the Brazilian environment #imisssummer
- #Didyouknow that each brown silk on an ear of corn indicates that silk was pollinated & signals it is trying to grow a kernel of corn #farm #agriculture #speakag #food #sweetcorn #makinmehungry
- Insects like this soybean looper can wreak havoc on a #farm! #averyhungrycatepillar
- One of my fave dishes #Pork at @pastariastl :) #stl #stleats #stlfood
- Look who I found at #ShowMeYFR https://t.co/QPEhtU9hfs https://t.co/KhVSosfBBZ
about 34 mins ago
- Fun hearing @daddystractor mention friends @MariaBrilaki & @TheSciBabe during #ShowMeYFR
about 1 hour ago
- Listening to @daddystractor talk about how she reaches out from her farm to city moms #Sho… https://t.co/nQIac5bgi6 https://t.co/VT1G2vrnKx
about 1 hour ago
- More than 1200 young farmers & ranchers trading ideas about today & the future #awesome #ShowMeYFR #ilovemyjob https://t.co/YtXsF35TSc
about 2 hours ago
- #thatmomentwhen someone tells me I can't sit at the #cotton table #showmeYFR https://t.co/a8tQw5Yqri https://t.co/2LyMmuLLaX
about 3 hours ago